The Northern Ireland Clinical Research Network (NICRN) undertakes critical care research throughout Northern Ireland. The NICRN is part of a UK-wide initiative to provide opportunities for patients and clinicians to participate in high-quality clinical research.
The NICRN aims to:
- promote critical care research within Northern Ireland; attract clinical trials in critical care to Northern Ireland;
- conduct clinical trials across Northern Ireland to the highest standards of quality and safety;
- provide infrastructure to facilitate the start-up of new trials in critical care medicine;
- improve access for critical care patients to new cutting-edge treatments.
Areas of interest include the following:
Providing access to novel therapies through partnership with the commercial sector.
- Clinical trials in the critically ill.
- Acute lung injury and traumatic brain injury.
- Use of human models to demonstrate acute lung injury.