The Northern Ireland Clinical Research Network (NICRN) undertakes diabetes research throughout Northern Ireland. The NICRN is part of a UK-wide initiative to provide opportunities for patients and clinicians to participate in high-quality clinical research.
The NICRN aims to:
- promote diabetes research within Northern Ireland;
- attract clinical trials in diabetes to Northern Ireland;
- conduct clinical trials across Northern Ireland to the highest standards of quality and safety;
- provide infrastructure to facilitate the start-up of new trials in diabetes medicine;
- improve access for diabetes patients to new cutting-edge treatments.
Areas of interest include the following:
- Influence of diet and nutrition, endocrine replacement therapy, and drugs on insulin action and vascular function.
- Understanding and influencing the outcome of diabetic pregnancy.
- Evidence-based practice in diabetes care, including the impact of structured patient education.
- Genetics of renal disease in diabetes.