The Northern Ireland Clinical Research Network (NICRN) undertakes research in kidney disease throughout Northern Ireland. The NICRN is part of a UK-wide initiative to provide opportunities for patients and clinicians to participate in high-quality clinical research.
The NICRN aims to:
- promote research in kidney disease within Northern Ireland;
- attract clinical trials in kidney disease to Northern Ireland;
- conduct clinical trials across Northern Ireland to the highest standards of quality and safety;
- provide infrastructure to facilitate the start-up of new trials in kidney disease;
- improve access for patients with kidney disease to new cutting-edge treatments.
Areas of interest include the following:
- Multiple studies of kidney transplant outcomes and immunosuppressive therapy.
- Effectiveness of dialysis treatments and medications for dialysis patients.
- Novel therapies for progressive chronic kidney disease.
- Prevention and management of acute kidney injury.
- Genetic studies of kidney diseases.