The Northern Ireland Clinical Research Network (NICRN) undertakes vision research throughout Northern Ireland. The NICRN is part of a UK-wide initiative to provide opportunities for patients and clinicians to participate in high-quality clinical research.
The NICRN aims to:
- promote ophthalmic research within Northern Ireland;
- attract clinical trials in ophthamology to Northern Ireland;
- conduct clinical trials across Northern Ireland to the highest standards of quality and safety;
- provide infrastructure to facilitate the start-up of new trials in ophthalmic disease;
- improve access for ophthalmic patients to new cutting-edge treatments.
Areas of interest include the following:
- Providing access to novel therapies through partnership with the commercial sector.
- Evaluation of the mechanisms behind diseases of the eye such as age-related macular degeneration.
- The genetics of inherited retinal dystrophies.
- Trials of novel therapeutics for age-related macular degeneration.